February 7: Happy Birthday, Charles Dickens
We salute the author of A Tale of Two Cities, Bleak House, David Copperfield, and many other classics because so many of his works were adapted into radio plays.
If you can recall sitting on the floor with the fire crackling nearby, your mom sorting her coupons at the coffee table, and radio actors giving voice to great Dickens dramas, here's what you're remembering, specifically:
- A Tale of Two Cities on Lux Radio Theatre, 1942, 1945, and 1946
- Great Expectations on Theatre Guild, 1953
- David Copperfield on Theatre Guild, 1950
- A Christmas Carol on Campbell Playhouse, 1939
- Dickens' work was also presented on Suspense, Richard Diamond, Escape and Lights Out.
Imagine turning on commercial radio today and hearing classic literature instead of gossip about Miley Cyrus or the latest hit song by Justin Bieber.