October 5, 1930: On this day, CBS broadcast the New York Philharmonic Orchestra for the first time form Carnegie Hall. To broadcast the Sunday afternoon concerts, CBS paid $15,000 for the entire season. The radio broadcasts continued for 38 years without interruption.
The orchestra was founded by the American-born conductor, Ureli Corelli Hill, in 1842 and was officially known as the Philharmonic-Symphony Society of New York.
In 1909, in order to provide financial stability, the Philharmonic, was changed from a musician-operated cooperative to a corporate management structure bringing Gustav Mahler as conductor.
In 1921, the New York Philharmonic merged with New York's National Symphony Orchestra (no relation to the present Washington, D.C. ensemble) and later in 1828 came the final and most important merger with the New York Symphony Society.
Arturo Toscanini became the sole conductor and in 1930 led the group on a European tour that brought immediate international fame to the Orchestra. Toscanini remained music director until the spring of 1936, and then returned several times as a guest conductor until 1945. Toscanini is shown in the picture above standing in the center with bow tie and cap on the S.S. de Grasse embarking on their European tour.
For additional classical and opera radio shows, see also: